7 Easy Tips for Writing a Home Listing that Sells
You want to write an amazing ad description when selling your home, but you may not be sure where to begin.
A quick scroll through current listings on MilitaryByOwner can give you a framework for building an ad to sell your home. Also, take note of these concrete suggestions when describing your home for potential buyers!
1) Take into account what a homebuyer may be looking for!
This could include:
- Type of home: single family, townhome, condo, apartment, row home, modular home, tiny home
- Number of bedrooms and bathrooms
- Estimated square footage
- Size of the property (acres)
- Garage: 1 car, 2 car, 2 car plus storage bay, attached, detached
- Added extras: deck, pool, shed
- Updates: appliances, windows, HVAC
- Unique characteristics: 2 blocks from the beach, near a nature trail, walk to schools, shops, and cafés.
2) Use phrases that create excitement about the home, its location, updates, or other features.
Spotlight the location. Use decriptions such as:
- Located in desirable (insert housing area name) neighborhood.
- Easy commute down (insert main road name) to (insert military installation name).
- Zoned for the high-ranking (insert local district name) school district.
Depict the status of the home.
- Turn-key or Move-in ready
- Like new
Give a sense of urgency.
- Priced to sell quickly
- This one won’t last
- Tour this home first!
Detail recent updates.
- Fresh paint throughout
- Newly installed wood (or tile) flooring
- Professionally landscaped.
Share signature features, such as
- Vaulted ceilings
- Open concept kitchen and dining
- Oversized master bedroom (or master bath).
Favor a type of lifestyle
- Family-friendly multi-level home
- Ease of one floor living (single level home)
- Low maintenance townhome living.
3) Lead with a winning line.
Think of the task of writing an ad as if you are setting the stage for your listing to shine. Use phrases like:
- Majestic estate
- Premier property
- Luxury living opportunity.
4) Highlight unique details about your house.
Consider these terms:
- Stunning architecture
- Spectacular custom millwork
- Unmatched craftsmanship.
5) Describe where you spend the most time.
Use descriptions like:
- Elegantly appointed rooms for entertaining
- State of the art gourmet kitchen
- Warm and functional living space.
6) Highlight the fact if your property includes a spacious lot.
Paint a picture with words like:
- Rare double lot
- Breathtaking acreage
- Fantastic fenced yard.
7) Describe what you see from your windows.
Make mention of:
- Panoramic views
- Sweeping vistas
- Serene setting.