Whether we're prepared or not, time keeps ticking and the temperatures are rising. Spring is quite literally in the air, and the seasonal change couldn’t be more evident in the status of your house’s need for upkeep.
Homes provide comfort and safety, but only if we keep up with their required maintenance inside and out. Get out the rakes, vinegar, and gloves because there’s plenty of work to do this spring, especially if you're selling your home.
Inside Your Home
- Check batteries in smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Launder and change furniture slipcovers.
- Rotate decorative couch pillows, rugs, and throw blankets if necessary.
- Change into lightweight bedroom linens. Wash pillows if possible.
- Vacuum and shampoo rugs. Some may require professional services.
- If allowable, wash or dry clean window treatments. Thoroughly clean windows.
- Dust rooms from top to bottom. Start with ceiling fans and end with base boards.
- Degrease kitchen appliances and cabinets.
- Clean refrigerator coils by dusting or vacuuming for the best performance and cost efficiency.
- Don’t forget the grime in the home office. Specifically, clean the keyboard.
- Thin closets by donating items and transfer into warm season clothing.
- Clogged gutters make heavy spring showers dangerous and costly.
- Squirrels and raccoons need homes, too. Check that they aren’t nesting in yours!
- Scrub patio furniture and wash cushions.
- Spring tree planting helps root systems grow hardily.
- Roof inspections are a must to avoid future damages.
- Attach outside hoses that were disconnected for winter.
- Get ready for outdoor entertaining by scrubbing and cleaning algae or mildew on decks and siding.
- Inspect grill for wear and replace grates if necessary.
- Plan for gardens in containers or in beds.
- Make plans to aerate and fertilize lawns.
- Prune trees and shrubs to avoid rot or other damage to the house.
Because there is always room to clean or repair more home related projects, these previous MilitaryByOwner posts will give you even more ideas for spring home maintenance and cleaning:
- 10 Spring Maintenance Tips for Military Homeowners
- Homeowners, Don't Ignore These Spring Cleaning Chores!
Image: Flickr user storebukkebruse