What to Know Before a PCS Move to Fort Cavazos
The Fort Cavazos, Texas, area has so much to offer military families in the way of amenities, support, and housing. But, because of its intimidating size in population and expansive geographic borders, newcomers are overwhelmed quickly.
Here’s the beginning of what you need to know before your PCS move to Fort Cavazos, formerly known as Fort Hood. (Learn more in 20 Fun Facts About Fort Cavazos!). There are also a couple of added in depth bonuses here. Start by downloading your free ebook about the Fort Cavazos area!
Fort Cavazos PCS Essentials: What to Know Before you Arrive
Services on Fort Cavazos
Fort Cavazos ranks in the top five biggest Army posts, thanks to the active duty servicemembers and families of the 1st Cavalry Division, the III Armored Corps, and numerous other units. Their day-to-day lifestyles require regular access to the amenities that support a strong quality of life.
Check out this snap shot of Fort Cavazos essentials.
Fort Cavazos Arrival Assistance
- Quality Assurance Personal Property Customer Service: 254-287-2200
- IHG Army Hotels - Holiday Inn Express: 254-532-8233 and Candlewood Suites: 254-532-8233
Retail and Food Outlets
- Two food courts that highlight Chipotle, Starbucks, Denny’s, and Smoothie King
- 13 Express Stores— some are mini malls featuring Jack in the Box and Wing Street
- One Class Six store
- Five specialty stores including a furniture and candy store
- Six barber shops
- Two commissaries
- Seven Child Development Centers
Fort Cavazos Housing
Fort Cavazos Family Housing is managed by WinnCompanies (Lendlease). The company operates nearly 7,000 housing units which are offered through one and two story floor plans with variations of two, three, four, and five bedroom options. WinnCompanies also provides residents with a system of walking trails, parks, and community centers where regular neighborhood activities take place.
Employment and Education Support
Families arriving at Fort Cavazos are often in search of new work opportunities and the possibility of furthering their education. These are a couple of resources to start researching programs that would be a good fit for you.
More Detailed Fort Cavazos Relocation Information.
Fort Cavazos Military Spouse Employment
- Civilian Personnel Advisory Center
- Non-Appropriated Funds
- Federal Civilian Employment for Spouses
- ACS Employment Readiness Program
Fort Cavazos Education Center
The Lifestyle Off Fort Cavazos
Residents who choose to live off post appreciate conveniences that most suburban city dwellers find attractive. Killeen Mall, H-E-B stores, Barnes & Noble, Walmart SuperCenter, HomeBase and most other big box and chain stores have a presence within one of Fort Cavazos’ surrounding cities.
Housing choices off Fort Cavazos are plentiful. Copperas Cove, Harker Heights, and Killeen are very popular with military families because of their quick commutes to the base and because they have easy access to desirable retail and entertainment choices. Residents also enjoy Belton, Temple, and Georgetown because they are a bit further away, between at about 20-30 minute drive from base, and are smaller in size.
Public School Districts Near Fort Cavazos
Families have multiple school district options to choose from. Fort Cavazos residents attend Killeen schools. Some area school districts include:
- Killeen Independent School District
- Copperas Cove Independent School District
- Belton Independent School District
- Salado Independent School District
Things to Do Near Fort Cavazos
You probably know Waco, Austin, and Dallas are must-sees, but there are also closer to home choices that local residents love to spend time exploring. Don’t forget to check in with Fort Cavazos MWR for inexpensive trips and activities all year round.
- Hiking in hill country throughout the area, but especially Chalk Ridge Falls.
- Belton Lake Outdoor Recreation Area (BLORA) biking, camping, fishing, swimming
- Inner Space Cavern has preserved cave tours for all levels of exploring.
By time you’ve read over this essential guide, links to insider info, the Fort Cavazos Relocation Information, and the Military Family Guide to Fort Cavazos, you’ll be well on your way to mastering a well thought out PCS move to Texas.
And if you're looking for a home off base, be sure to check in with MilitaryByOwner's constantly updated inventory of homes for sale and houses for rent near Fort Cavazos!