Why I Love MacDill AFB!
Why do I love MacDill Air Force Base? There are so many reasons living in this area is wonderful.
MacDill AFB is located right on Tampa Bay which allows us lots of options of things to do, see, eat, and enjoy!
Why I Love Living Near MacDill Air Force Base
- First, the base is itself is beautiful! You can view the Tampa skyline to the east and the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and St. Petersburg to the west. The chance sighting of a pair of dolphins swimming along the shore while eating at Sea Scapes is reason enough to love this area. The housing is new and beautiful.
- The weather! How could you not love the weather here? No snow to shovel--what more is there to say? The weather here is perfect for sitting by your pool, playing golf, hitting the tennis ball around, or just relaxing at the beach.
- The beaches have to be one of the top reasons I love this area. The beach at MacDill is wonderful and has everything you need to spend a day at the beach: grills, tables, bathrooms and Sea Scapes Cafe. But there are also those other great beaches on the Gulf. Did you know there is a great beach in Tampa? Cypress Point Park is a hidden gem right near the airport.
- The food. Tampa has become a foodie destination with the opening of numerous new restaurants in the area. You can choose from the classics like the Columbia in Ybor city to the new Ulele along the Hillsborough River.
- Friendly and helpful people. The Tampa Bay area definitely loves and supports their active duty service members and families, as well as the large population of veterans.
- The amusement parks. Who doesn't love Mickey Mouse? We have Busch Gardens, Universal, Disney World, and Lego Land right here in our back yard. As a military family, we are lucky that these parks all offer great military discounts and we get the tickets right on MacDill at the Information, Ticket, and Travel office.
- Museums and performing arts. The MacDill AFB area is located near so many great museums. The Glazer Children's Museum, the Dali, and MOSI are just a few in the area. The Straz Center offers a great selection of concerts, plays, operas, and dance performances.
- The sports. Rays baseball, Buccaneers football, Lightning Hockey, and the Tampa Bay Rowdies for soccer. Who could ask for more!
- Lastly, the sunsets! The sunsets here are beautiful. My favorite place to watch the sunset is Holmes Beach at Anna Maria Island, but I have also seen some beautiful sunsets from the MacDill AFB beach.
These are some of the reasons I love the MacDill AFB area. What are some of the reasons you love where you live? I would love to hear about it!
photo credit: Calm via photopin (license)