Military Spouse Employment and Connections at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam
Welcome to Oahu! Your assignment to Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam (JBPHH), Hawaii, is one of the most coveted duty stations for both military members and families, and with good reason.
Located adjacent to beautiful Honolulu, Hawaii, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam is a joint Navy/Air Force base and is Navy led. Pearl Harbor and Hickam AFB are physically connected, so you'll see and hear jets taking off from the Hickam airfield while Navy ships, carriers, subs, and other vessels slip down the nearby harbor. The Coast Guard is also active in this area, and you might even spy a cruise ship!
An assignment to Oahu is unique not only due to its tropical location, but also because all branches are present on the island. And good news for military spouses! The military spouse community on Oahu may be one of the closest you’ll experience. You’ll find numerous spouse groups and events to be involved in, not only at JBPHH, but also at events such as the island-wide Joint Spouses’ Conference.
Military spouses looking to work or further their careers may be interested in the many unique military spouse job opportunities. In addition to the tourism industry, other popular careers on Oahu include the fields of accommodations, healthcare, airlines, and teaching. Or, your time at JBPHH might be a great opportunity to start your own business, continue your contracting or GS career, or simply try a fun job that you wouldn’t find anywhere else.
Note: while unemployment rates on Oahu are typically lower than the national average, they’ve risen during the COVID restrictions, since the island relies heavily on the travel and tourism industries.
However you’re looking to spend your time as a military spouse at JBPHH, we're sharing a few resources to get you started!
For Newcomers to Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam
- Insider Tips: Travel to Oahu
- Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam Relocation Information
- What to Expect When You PCS to Oahu
- JBPHH info from Great Life Hawaii
- JBPHH Sponsorship and Youth Sponsorhip Programs
Ideas for Volunteering at JBPHH
- JBPHH Youth Sports Volunteers
- Navy Marine Corps Relief Society
- Hawaii Literacy
- Lanakila Meals on Wheels
- Hawaiian Humane Society
- Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum
- YWCA Oahu
- USO Hawaii
- Feeding Hawaii Together
- Honolulu Zoo Society
- Friends of the Library of Hawaii
JBPHH Military Spouse Employment Resources
- JBPHH Civilian Job Search
- Military and Family Support Center
- Hawaii State Jobs: Department of Human Resources Development website
- JBPHH MFSC Employment Program
- Association of Military Spouse Entrepreneurs
Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam Military Spouse Groups
- Hickam Officers’ Spouses Club
- Hickam Enlisted Spouses’ Club
- Pearl Harbor Officer Spouses’ Club
- Pearl Harbor Submarine Officers' Spouses' Association
- Joint Spouses’ Conference
Other Social & Professional Groups Near JBPHH
- Oahu Hikers & Adventurers: an activities-focused group that meets year-round.
- Military Wild Hawaii Chapter: get outdoors, connect with other military affiliated folks, and explore the island.
- Wet Hens Sailing: Wet Hen volunteers provide low cost sailing classes to the military community in Oahu.
- 808 Sports Leagues: charity focused, co-ed social sports league located in Honolulu for Hawaii adults.
- Waikiki Toastmasters Club: Hone your public speaking and leadership skills.
- Junior League of Honolulu: The Junior League of Honolulu is a "volunteer powerhouse of transformational female leaders who set bold goals, open their circles, disrupt convention and change the conversation for the betterment of civil society."
- Lean in Circle, Honolulu: peer mentorship for women.
This list should get you started for your first weeks and months in Oahu! Here's a few more ideas for your Hawaii explorations:
- 6 Oahu Breakfast Spots You Have to Try
- 8 Amazing Hikes Near Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam
- 4 Ideas for Family Fun Near JBPHH
Learn more about Oahu and your assignment to Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam with our free ebook: